Sunday, February 17, 2008

Provincial Carbon Taxes


The BC Liberal government is expected to propose a carbon tax sometime this week. I have to admit, my views on this topic have shifted a bit recently. The burden of a carbon tax falls mostly onto the poor, and BC's plan will probably not include tax cuts for low-income residents to offset this increase. British Columbia is also very limited in its ability to effect global warming. Even a huge reduction in carbon emissions would have no effect on global warming.

I am not advocating free-riding, I believe that BC and the federal government should be doing all they can to make a binding international agreement. Such an agreement is not impossible, nations have bound together to solve problems before, and we could do it again. However, I fear that all BC's plan will do is place burden on a lot of people without delivering any benefit.

No comments: