Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Business Verses Academic Culture

I just got kicked out of the schools computer lab, which happens all the time, but this was the first time I've been kicked out by someone in business. He walked into the lab, smiled big, and gave an enthusiastic, "Hi, I'm going to be teaching a class in here. So you can leave, or you can pay a fee, in that case I suppose you could stay." He was funny and authoritative at the same time. When academics want to kick people out of the lab, the script is usually, "excuse me, I'm going to be starting a class in hear in a couple minutes, so if you could all pack up that would be great." Academics are polite only as authoritative as they need to be. If anybody else has a story relating to this feel free to leave a comment below.

No comments: